What a fantastic day we had yesterday!
Let me begin by congratulating our Wind Ensemble students on all of their accomplishments this year which culminated in a 3rd place win at festival with a rating of “Excellent”! Proud does not even begin to describe the feeling we all must have about this incredible achievement, especially since this group has established a standard of excellence for our school by being the first to go to a festival!
To put this into perspective:
The competition was fierce. 12 fantastic middle school bands competed from across the states of California and Nevada. For many of these schools, this was just another festival stop (maybe their 3rd or 4th of the year). But for us, this was history in the making- something we felt so passionate about that the energy was palpable to anyone we came across. Our performance brought many in the audience to tears and prompted the announcer (holding back tears) to say “that was incredible” and “that was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen”. The greatest joy of all was not in competing, nor in ratings; it was in the joy, pride and sheer beauty of what we had accomplished that will never be forgotten.
A few major thank yous:
- To all the chaperones without whom literally none of this could have happened.
- To our bus driver, who was flexible and supportive the entire time (however long the day got).
- To the judges, announcers and festival staff, whose positive energy and encouragement helped us to feel safe and eased our nerves.
- To our administrators, who have supported this program from Day 1 and continue to do so in great fashion.
- To all of the parents who have supported their children in this endeavor- you are truly “Excellent”!
As they say in show business, the show must go on! Now to prepare for our final concert on Thursday night! See you then!